About the Programme
Internships at UNU-INWEH: The UN Think Tank on Water
UNU-INWEH provides interns a chance to work in an international environment and experience first-hand the operations of the United Nations. In this volunteer program, interns interact with staff members and contribute towards UN water research and training projects conducted in developing countries. Our interns have come from Canada, France, India, Mali, Mexico, Pakistan, the United Kingdom, the USA, and elsewhere. If you think that the UNU-INWEH Internship Programme could be your next step, please find out if you meet the eligibility requirements (below) and submit an application.
All interns are required to make a 3-month (minimum) to 6-month (maximum) full-time commitment. Interns are recruited through a competitive application process through:
- Specific vacancy announcements (listed on this page)
- Unsolicited applications (open)
For more details about the UNU-INWEH internship programme, please visit our FAQs page. To view our current interns and as well as past interns that have completed the internship programme, please visit our Intern Archive.
- Academic Qualifications & Fields of Interest: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in an area relevant to UNU-INWEH’s field of work.
- Languages: excellent spoken and written English; knowledge of other UN languages is an asset. See FAQs Section 2 for requirements concerning language certification.
- Computer skills: ability to use office-related software (Microsoft Office) and hardware (PC).
- Attitude: awareness and ability to adapt to a multicultural environment and a commitment to international public service are essential. Applicants should demonstrate good communication skills and show initiative and flexibility.
- Availability: the duration of an internship is a minimum of 3 months (full-time).
- Insurance: proof of insurance coverage for the entire period of the internship.
The selection will take into consideration academic achievements and research accomplishments, two letters of recommendation, and your statement of purpose. Further documents may be requested only if shortlisted. See FAQs for further information.
Terms and Conditions
There is no fixed start date for internships. Internship start-dates are defined on the basis of the respective programme/project requirements. The duration of the internship will be at least 3 months with a maximum duration of 6 months. Interns are expected to work full time and will be provided office space and facilities as appropriate for their work. UNU-INWEH does not offer any financial assistance for the internship and all candidates are required to indicate means of support for the duration of the internship.
Interns will be awarded a certificate at the successful completion of their internship. See FAQs Section 3 and 4 for details on the Terms and Conditions.
UNU-INWEH has provided me with an astounding opportunity to experience the application of first-hand classroom theories in the real world. It is a resourceful centre that allowed me to understand the necessity to apply research for resolving problems in water, human and sustainable development issues. It was a great privilege to work with a team of expert that allowed me to unite my varied interest of indigenous and international development in one unique combination.
- Busola, 2015 Intern
UNU-INWEH is an excellent facility for individuals looking to engage with the broader international community on a variety of water-focused policy, management, and conservation issues. The breadth of knowledge and experience amongst the team is impressive and worthwhile, and the internship was an excellent opportunity to learn more about water issues and help me progress towards a larger, more global perspective.
- Naomi, 2012 Intern
Indeed, the possibilities of working directly with high-level specialists on specific cases, touching on issues of water management in connection with the problems of desertification, population health, and climate change, among others, make the UNU-INWEH internship program in Hamilton, a perfect place for any student.
- Ibrahima, 2010 Intern
How to Apply
To apply to the UNU-INWEH Internship Programme, complete the following steps:
- Ensure you satisfy the Eligibility Criteria.
- Fill out all five of the required application documents (details outlined below).
- Email or fax your application to the UNU-INWEH Internship Coordinator (details outlined below).
- Only complete applications (i.e., containing all five required documents) will be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Your internship application will be considered valid for 12 months from the submission date.
- If applicants do not receive a response within 12 months of submission, the application has not been retained.
REQUIRED INTERNSHIP APPLICATION DOCUMENTS:
(2) A Cover Letter that Includes:
- A brief statement of purpose.
- Why you think an internship would be a valuable opportunity.
- Any specific skills/experience that relate to one of our programmes/projects.
- The letter should be written in English (1 page max.).
- The letter should be addressed to the UNU-INWEH Internship Coordinator.
(3) A Copy of Your University Transcript:
- Undergraduate or Graduate transcript. Unofficial is acceptable.
(4) Two Letters of Recommendation:
- Signed scanned copies sent by your two referees directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Subject Line: “REFERENCE LETTER = INTERNSHIP = Candidate’s Last Name and First Name”)
- Signed letters can also be sent by fax +1 905 667 5510
(Cover Page Subject Line: “INTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Candidate’s Last Name and First Name”)
(5) For Non-Native English Speakers, a Copy of Your English Language Certification
- (E.g., TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC); not required if the applicant has completed undergraduate and/or graduate studies with English as the medium of instruction. See FAQs Section 2 for further information on language certification.
WHERE DO I SEND MY INTERNSHIP APPLICATION?
(1) Email: email@example.com
- (Subject Line: “INTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Your Last Name, Your First Name”)
(2) Fax: +1 905 667 5510
- (Cover Page Subject Line: “INTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Your Last Name, Your First Name”)
There are no Internship Vacancies with UNU-INWEH at this time.
To find an internship opportunity at another United Nations University international location, please visit the UNU Internship Portal
If you have a question regarding any of our internship vacancies, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact our Internship Coordinator:
UNU-INWEH Internship Coordinator
United Nations University
Institute for Water, Environment and Health
McMaster Innovation Park
175 Longwood Road South,
Suite 204, Hamilton Ontario
L8P 0A1 CANADA
Direct your inquires to UNU-INWEH Internship Coordinator at: intern.at.inweh [at] unu.edu