Caribbean Coastal Pollution Project (Closed 2010)
Project closed: 2010
The Caribbean Coastal Pollution Project aims at the assessment, monitoring, and management of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) and Persistent Toxic Substances (PTS) in coastal ecosystems of the Wider Caribbean Region (WCR). This project was built on the multi-national networks established by other activities in the region, particularly the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System and the Integrated Water and Coastal Areas Management projects by the Global Environment Facility.
The objectives of the Caribbean Coastal Pollution project are to:
- Build a network among coastal management agencies and selected analytical laboratories capable of undertaking POPs and PTS monitoring in coastal marine ecosystems and nearby water bodies.
- Evaluate lab capacity through visitation and cross-calibration trials, implement advanced training of staff, and provide instrumentation upgrades.
- Undertake an initial baseline monitoring of biota at selected sites, building upon previous monitoring efforts where possible, and analyze samples for a broad range of POPs and other PTS.
- Engage national governments and the public on the extent of the problem and the need for ameliorative action.
- Strengthening Coastal Pollution Management in the Wider Caribbean Region (2011)
- Monitoring POPs in White Grunt from the Wider Caribbean Region (2010)
- Monitoring POPs in White Grunt from the Wider Caribbean Region: A Preliminary Analysis (2009)
- Quantitative Biomonitoring of POPs in Caribbean Coastal Zones Using Oysters (2009)
- Tracking the Sources of Coastal Zone Contamination in the Maya Riviera Region of Mexico (2009)
- Training Workshop on Laboratory Methods and Procedures for Persistent Organic Pollutants in Biological Tissues (2009)
- Inter-laboratory Comparison of the Analysis of POPs in CRM (2009)
- Final Reporting Workshop Caribbean Coastal Pollution Project (2009)
- Assessment, Monitoring and Management of POPs and PTS in the Coastal Ecosystems of the Wider Caribbean Region (Report 2) (2009)
- Assessment, Monitoring and Management of POPs and PTS in the Coastal Ecosystems of the Wider Caribbean Region (Report 2) (2008)
- Assessment, Monitoring and Management of POPs and PTS in the Coastal Ecosystems of the Wider Caribbean Region (Report 1) (2008)
Media + Downloads
- Amigos de Siaan Ka’an
- Caribbean EcoHealth Programme (CEHP)
- Centre de Recherche du CHUQ
- CONANP (Chetumal and Cancun)
- Great Lakes Institute for Environmental Research
- Instituto Nacional de Ecología/SEMARNAT
- Oceanus A.C
- Organization of American States (OAS)
- St. George’s University – School of Medicine
- The World Bank