Coastal Management In The Arabian Gulf (Closed 2011)
Project closed: 2011
The goal of the Coastal Management in the Arabian Gulf project is to design and implement a long-term environmental monitoring program (EMP) and management plan for marine waters surrounding large-scale developments along the Dubai coastline. This project will serve as a platform for capacity building in specific aspects of coastal marine management in the UAE, the wider Gulf region, and the international community.
As part of this project, UNU-INWEH aims to produce the necessary data and workshop training to contribute to the sustainable management of Nakheel Properties (a Dubai real-estate developer) and their Marine Projects.
- The components to the Coastal Management in the Arabian Gulf project are as follows:
- An Environmental Monitoring Program.
- The assessment of marine habitats and biological characteristics across Nakheel Marine Projects.
- Detailed water quality studies, and models of temperature/salinity/oxygen response.
- Capacity-building opportunities (i.e., training workshops).
- Lessons from the Gulf Policy Brief (2011)
- Nakheel And EHS Launch Dubai’s First Marine Biology Laboratory (2008)
- Course Report: Training Workshop on Marine and Coastal Environmental Monitoring Methods (2009)
- Course Report: Training Workshop on Environmental Impact Assessment for Coastal and Marine Areas (2008)
- First Interagency Meeting on Monitoring and Management of Dubai Coastal Waters (2007)
- Marine environment at top of the agenda as Nakheel signs landmark agreement with UNU (2007)
Media + Downloads
- Reef Fish Community Structure Throughout the Eastern Arabian Peninsula Poster (2009)
- Marine Environmental Monitoring Methods Presentation 1 (2009)
- Marine Environmental Monitoring Methods Presentation 2 (2009)
- Differences in Fish Communities on Artificial Reefs of Different Ages in the United Arab Emirates Poster (2008)
- Managing Off-Shore Reclamation to Ensure Sustainable Coastal Ecosystems: Focus on Dubai (2008)
- Effects of Coastal Development on Coral Reef Fish Communities in Dubai, UAE (2008)