The interrelationships between water and international security are the focus of new works edited by former UNU-INWEH Director Zafar Adeel and colleagues.
The Water, Energy, and Food Security Nexus in the Arab Region (Amer, Adeel, Boer, and Saleh; Eds.) is the first book to analyze the water-energy-food security nexus for the Arab region.
Four take-away messages:
* the Arab region is under considerable water stress, which will worsen with climate change and regional water distribution
* viable solutions are available through innovative policies, judicious use of new technologies, and stimulating public opinion
* integrated actions the across water, energy, and food sectors is obviously needed but extremely challenging to achieve
* there are some gaps in the scientific understanding but at the same time there is a wealth of data and synthesized information that can guide decision-making.
The book advocates more open and interdisciplinary dialogue and says achieving sustainable economic development is irretrievably tied to the security of the water-energy-food nexus. And that, in turn, is essential for sustained peace.
Water Security in a New World (Springer; Series Editor: Zafar Adeel), assembles providing evidence-based and policy-relevant responses to many pressing questions about water security, from the world’s leading thinkers, experts, practitioners and researchers. With water security now commanding global attention, specific questions relate to
* the likelihood of armed conflict and war over shared water resources
* on the continuing availability of water resources to produce sufficient food for 9 or 10 billion people
* on the probability of providing safe drinking water to every man, woman and child, and
* on the impact of climate change to create extreme water events, such as typhoons, floods and droughts, for which we are not prepared.
Volumes in this series will provide in-depth analysis of various dimensions of water security, and are meant to be used by researchers, policymakers and practitioners alike.
For more information on The Water, Energy, and Food Security Nexus in the Arab Region, please visit http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319484075
For more information on the first book in the series, Imagining Industan, please visit http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319328430
Regional Training Course and Workshop on Ecosystem Based Adaptation approach for Sustainable Management and Governance of Coastal Ecosystems (ENGAGE Program)