Water Catalyst Award
It is now widely recognized that the primary determinant for addressing the issue of global poverty is the provision of safe water. Access to safe water enhances the potential for educational opportunities (particularly for girls) and facilitates participation in local community economic development. Thanks to the commitment and dedication of a number of people and organizations who speak out on the need to address the global water crisis, the world is finally beginning to take notice and prioritize this issue. Recognizing the work of these key individuals who are at the forefront the global call-to-action is paramount to inspire others to join the ongoing efforts to ensure safe and adequate water access for all. The Water Catalyst Award serves to achieve this goal.
The Water Catalyst Award, funded by Degrémont (a subsidiary of Suez Environment), identifies an individual who has demonstrated exceptional advocacy to improve the lives of others through improving access to drinking water or heightening the prominence of water issues in the political sphere and on the international development agenda. This award gives the opportunity to share their experiences through a public lecture. Providing the award winner with an international platform will not only bring increased attention to water issues but can also inspire others to make water a policy priority.
Past Water Catalyst Award Winners:
|2015 Winner: His Excellency Mr. Sirodjidin Aslov, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Tajikistan
H.E. Minister Aslov is a global leader on water issues, and has been instrumental in mobilizing governments around the world to act on water challenges and in catalyzing action by the United Nations community. He has championed dialogue on water sharing and water cooperation, leading to a series of major conferences attended by a large number of government representatives, experts, global institutions, and thought leaders. The Honorable Minister will discuss the global water challenges facing us, and how the international community can collectively respond.
|2012 Winner: The Honourable Maria Mutagamba, Minister of Water and Environment in Uganda (2006-2012)
Minister Mutagamba is a member of the UN Secretary General’s Advisory Board for Water and Sanitation, past-president of the African Ministers’ Council on Water, and coordinator of the Global Women Leaders Forum for Water and Sanitation. She was also recognized and accorded the title of “Mama Africa for WaSH” during the 2012 Africa Water Week.
Media + Downloads
- Water Catalyst Award Lecture (2015)
- Why Women? Why Water? Why Me? Powerpoint Presentation (2012)
- Linda Gowman: What’s in it for you? Smart Investing in the Global Water and Sanitation Crisis Video (2012)
- Ella Lazarte: What’s in it for you? Smart Investing in the Global Water and Sanitation Crisis Video (2012)
- Ron Denham: What’s in it for you? Smart Investing in the Global Water and Sanitation Crisis Video (2012)
- Clarissa Brocklehurst: Top Down, Bottom Up: Bridging Global Policy and Practice Video (2012)
- The Honourable Maria Mutagamba: Top Down, Bottom Up: Bridging Global Policy and Practice Video (2012)
- Richard Thomas: Top Down, Bottom Up: Bridging Global Policy and Practice Video (2012)
- Santiago Alba-Corral: Top Down, Bottom Up: Bridging Global Policy and Practice Video (2012)
- Susan Watt: Top Down, Bottom Up: Bridging Global Policy and Practice Video (2012)