Work Global, Stay Local
Are you a recent graduate or enrolled in a graduate programme? Are you interested in making a difference in environmental research and policy? Do you have a commitment towards addressing issues of international importance related to water, environment and health? If so, then the UNU-INWEH Externship Programme could be for you!
UNU-INWEH provides externs a chance to work in an international organisation and experience first-hand the operations of the United Nations. In this volunteer programme, externs virtually interact with experts and contribute towards UN water research and training projects conducted in developing countries. If you think that the UNU-INWEH Externship Programme could be your next step, please find out if you meet the eligibility requirements (below) and submit an application.
Externs are recruited through a competitive application process through (1) specific vacancy announcements (listed on the vacancies page) or (2) unsolicited applications (open). All externs are required to make a 3-month (minimum) to 6-month (maximum) full-time commitment.
- Academic Qualifications & Fields of Interest: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in an area relevant to UNU-INWEH’s field of work.
- Languages: excellent spoken and written English; knowledge of other UN languages is an asset. See FAQs Section 2 for requirements concerning language certification.
- Computer skills: ability to use office-related software (Microsoft Office) and hardware (PC).
- Attitude: awareness and ability to adapt to a multicultural environment and a commitment to international public service are essential. Applicants should demonstrate good communication skills and show initiative and flexibility.
- Availability: the duration of an externship is a minimum of three months (full-time).
The selection will take into consideration academic achievements and research accomplishments, two letters of recommendation, and your statement of purpose. Further documents may be requested only if shortlisted. See FAQs for further information.
There is no fixed start date for externship. Externship start-dates are defined on the basis of the respective programme/project requirements. The duration of the externship will be at least 3 months with a maximum duration of 6 months. Externs are expected to work full time and will be provided office space and facilities as appropriate for their work. UNU-INWEH does not offer any financial assistance for the Externship and all candidates are required to indicate means of support for the duration of the externship.
See FAQs Section 3 and 4 for details on the Terms and Conditions.
Externs are recruited through a competitive application process through (1) specific vacancy announcements (listed on our vacancies page) or (2) unsolicited applications (open). Both require a 3-month (minimum) to 6-month (maximum) full-time commitment.
To apply to the UNU-INWEH Externship Programme, complete the following steps:
- Ensure you satisfy the Eligibility Criteria.
- Fill out all five of the required application documents.
- Email or fax your application to the UNU-INWEH Externship Coordinator.
- Only complete applications (i.e., containing all five required documents) will be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Your externship application will be considered valid for 12 months from the submission date.
- If applicants do not receive a response within 12 months of submission, the application has not been retained.
REQUIRED EXTERNSHIP APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
(2) A Cover Letter that Includes:
- A brief statement of purpose.
- Why you think an externship would be a valuable opportunity.
- Any specific skills/experience that relate to one of our programmes/projects.
- The letter should be written in English (1 page max.).
- The letter should be addressed to the UNU-INWEH Externship Coordinator.
(3) A Copy of Your University Transcript:
- Undergraduate or Graduate transcript. Unofficial is acceptable.
(4) Two Letters of Recommendation:
- Signed scanned copies sent by your two referees directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Subject Line: “REFERENCE LETTER = EXTERNSHIP = Candidate’s Last Name and First Name”)
- Signed letters can also be sent by fax +1 905 667 5510
(Cover Page Subject Line: “EXTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Candidate’s Last Name and First Name”)
(5) For Non-Native English Speakers, a Copy of Your English Language Certification
- (E.g., TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC); not required if the applicant has completed undergraduate and/or graduate studies with English as the medium of instruction. See FAQs Section 2 for further information on language certification.
WHERE DO I SEND MY EXTERNSHIP APPLICATION?
(1) Email: email@example.com
- (Subject Line: “EXTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Your Last Name, Your First Name”)
(2) Fax: +1 905 667 5510
- (Cover Page Subject Line: “EXTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Your Last Name, Your First Name”)